Calling all artists and creative technologists interested in developing their skills in the immersive arts. The Media + Emerging Technology Lab (METL) will soon be accepting applications for the second cohort of the Immersive Storytelling Residency Program.
Immersive technologies establish a new paradigm for art and storytelling in the 21st century. The scope of the immersive experience is wide-ranging and global projects include large-scale works of artistry and beauty; powerful social impact projects creating insight and empathy; advancements in the fields of medicine, education, and business; and next-level gaming entertainment.
As one of the few immersive labs in the country to be housed in a professional arts conservatory, METL is uniquely situated to train and serve as a resource for the next generation of creative innovators. For each METL residency there will be three participants selected with complementary skill sets: a game developer, a technical artist and a screenwriter/producer. Please see role specific requirements below.
Program at a glance
- The next residency program will run from May 1 to Nov. 1, 2021
- Residency takes place at UNC School of the Arts in Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Three participants will be selected: a game developer, a technical artist and a screenwriter/producer
- Participants receive a monthly stipend of $3,500
An integral part of the Immersive Storytelling program is learning from world-class advisors, all leaders in the immersive arts and tech field:
- Jacquie Barnbrook, Academy Award-winning Visual Effects Producer
- Kent Bye, host of nationally-acclaimed Voices of VR podcast
- Navid Khonsari, Founder of iNK Stories, a NYC-based digital storytelling studio
- Bob Keen, Chair of UNCSA Filmmaking’s Visual Effects and Immersive Media
- Zahra Rasool, Head & Editorial Lead of Al Jazeera Contrast
Residency 2021 runs from May 1 – November 1, 2021
Unlike most programs that charge a fee for training and professional development opportunities, METL will provide each selected participant with a monthly stipend for the six-month residency. The stipend amount will be $3,500 per month.
Housing & Expenses
This stipend will help cover housing and expenses during the residency. Participants are responsible for finding their own housing in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Who Should Apply?
Applications are open to the general public. Refer to specific requirements for each role within the residency.
- A demonstrated talent and proficiency in the residency role for which you are applying
- Ability to collaborate with team members
- A passion for immersive technologies (VR, AR, game engines, motion capture)
- An interest in creating content or storytelling in immersive technologies
- Commitment to be at UNCSA in Winston-Salem on a full-time basis or close to full-time basis for the six-month residency
- Ability to commit at least 30 hours per week to the residency
- Must be a legal citizen or resident of the United States
Role Specific Requirements:
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field OR at least three years of relevant industry experience
- Proficiency with Unreal and/or Unity Game Engines
- Familiarity with full-stack development including mobile, front-end, and back-end
- Strongly prefer experience in working with 3D models, textures, and gaming or digital cinematic environments
- Degree in Design / 3D modeling or similar major OR at least three years of relevant industry experience
- Demonstrated experience in 3D character creation and 3D modeling using 3DSMax, Blender, or similar products
- Familiarity with game engines (Unreal and Unity), design formats (ex. FBX), textures/lighting/shading techniques
- Animation experience preferred
- Degree or coursework in screenwriting, creative writing or copywriting
- Demonstrated ability via work samples to craft narratives, narrative mechanics, character creation
- Ability to showcase creative writing through portfolio, examples, or published or produced works
- Project management experience
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills, problem-solver, consensus builder
- Producing film/tv/theatre/XR is a plus
Media and Emerging Technology Lab