New South is a print and online journal seeking to publish high-quality work, regardless of genre, form, or regional ties. We read regular submissions from September 1 – March 31st. Submissions for reviews, interviews, and pitches for features stay open year-round. We also hold an annual contest every spring; submissions for the 2020 contest are now closed.
We publish two issues a year, one in each spring and fall. We want what every journal wants: the new, the fresh, the different. Sidewalk gum, hot undersea vents, slashed tires, expired coupons to that one grocery store that went out of business when I was twelve. Jokes aside, the best way to figure out what our editors are interested is to just read the journal. Back issues of New South are available for $5 (more info via our subscription page), or you can read one of our online mini-issues or some of our micro-prose features here on our site for a better sense of who we are and what we enjoy.
Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we can publish only a small number of the poems, essays, and stories submitted to us. We accept and encourage simultaneous submissions, but please notify us as soon as your work is accepted elsewhere. New South only considers unpublished work and acquires first North American serial rights.
Under no circumstances will New South review work that is racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic, transphobic, or is otherwise intentionally or unintentionally harmful or derogatory. Please preface work that is potentially triggering with an appropriate warning in the cover letter of your submission.
Our response time hovers around 3-5 months, on average. If we have not responded after 6 months, please feel free to (kindly) query the appropriate editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guidelines (Print Issue)
- Fiction: Submit one story up to 7,500 words in length, or up to three short-shorts under 1,000 words each.
- Poetry: Submit one document containing three-to-five poems.
- Creative Nonfiction: Submit one creative nonfiction piece or lyric essay up to 7,500 words in length, or up to three short-shorts under 1,000 words each.
Guidelines (Online Content)
- Micro Prose: Submit stories and essays up to 500 words. Up to 3 pieces in one document. Only one submission at a time, please.
- Themed Mini-Issue (Closed). From March 1 – May 1 2020, we accepted submissions for our upcoming mini-issue. This issue centered around the theme of “lush,” however you interpret it.
- Reviews: Submit one review up to 750 words in length. We accept reviews of books—poetry, fiction, and nonfiction—that have been published within the past year. Reviews of small press and first books are encouraged.
- Interviews: Submit one interview up to 2,000 words in length. We’re looking for original questions, please, directed toward writers in poetry, fiction, or nonfiction.
- Series/Columns/Blogs/Features: New South is now considering pitches for online series, columns, blogs or other features. Themed essays, fan fiction, craft discussions—it’s up to you.
- Send your pitches and samples to A. Prevett at email@example.com.
New South now accepts submissions exclusively through Submittable, an online submissions manager. For a small fee that’s roughly the cost of printing and posting paper submissions, Submittable saves time, reduces paper waste, and increases our efficiency. Please submit your work here.
New South intends to have regular fee-free submission windows at the end of each month of this submission period: our next window will be open from September 30th, 12AM (EST), to October 1st, 12AM (EST).
For questions concerning guidelines or accessibility concerns, or for information on free submissions for subscribers, please contact A. Prevett at firstname.lastname@example.org.