Alternate ROOTS supports the creation and presentation of original art that is rooted in community, place, tradition, or spirit. We are a group of artists, and cultural organizers based in the U.S. South, creating a better world together. As Alternate ROOTS, we call for social, and economic justice, and are working to dismantle all forms of oppression – everywhere. ROOTS is also committed to the protection of the natural world and addresses these concerns through our programs and services.
The Communications Associate is responsible for contributing to the coordination and development of the communications work of Alternate ROOTS, to consistently articulate and advance the mission of the organization. The Communications Associate works to ensure that Alternate ROOTS’ communications support and uplift the work of the organization as well as ROOTS’ membership. Their primary responsibility will be to write, edit, and proofread all programmatic and operational copy. They will also serve as the liaison between ROOTS and our Language Justice partners; as such, we are seeking candidates who are fluent in both Spanish and English.
The Communications Associate reports to the Communications Director, Nicole Gurgel-Seefeldt and the Communications Manager, Jennifer Williams, and supports Communications work in partnership with the Communication Specialist, Melisa Cardona. They, along with the rest of the Communications team, work collaboratively with the Executive, Cultural Organizing, Strategic Partnership, and Operations teams, to meet the communications needs of those departments.
This position is being filled in a transitional time for the Communications Team, as the Communications Director will be on sabbatical from June-December 2021. During this time, the Associate will report directly to the Communications Manager.
- Write and proofread programmatic and operational copy for all departments
- Develop monthly Member News
- Identify and coordinate website updates, supervised by Communications Manager
- Supports ROOTS’ Language Justice work, serves as the primary point of contact with our Language Justice partners; sets up meetings, communicates work plans and timelines for translation and interpretation
- Provides short English to Spanish translation when needed
- Disseminate field-wide announcements through the proper channels (Member News, social media, google listservs)
- Serve as point person for communications requests from members, partner organizations, etc.
- Check the membership@, info@, and communications@ email accounts; forward requests to appropriate staff members
- Attends several standing meetings: weekly Communications and Staff Meetings; biweekly Cultural Organizing & Strategic Partnership meetings; attends other meetings as needed
- Actively participate in helping to develop and maintain a healthy work culture at ROOTS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong writer; accustomed to producing clear copy for a variety of programmatic efforts in a timely manner
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Able to work with many different departments and team members to develop language for their programmatic and operational needs
- Fluent in English and Spanish, able to provide short translations when needed
- Able to stay on top of the flow of many different kinds of information
- Organized, detail-oriented
- Familiar with google suite, especially google docs
- Familiar with the ROOTS community or artists/activists in the US South
- Able to increase hours during busy times before ROOTS Weekend & ROOTS Week
- Ability to work from home/remotely
- If/when travel conditions are safely permitted, this position typically needs the ability to travel 15-20% of the time – primarily to Alternate ROOTS events and quarterly staff Face-to-Face meetings
BONUS SKILLS (NOT REQUIRED BUT APPRECIATED!)
- Graphic design; able to develop images for social media, website, and layout program books
- Social media savvy (ROOTS currently maintains Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts)
- Familiarity with WordPress, Form Assembly, Eventbrite, and/or Salesforce (these platforms are managed by the Communications Specialist, but it’s helpful to have multiple staff familiar with them)
- Ability to show a valid driver’s license and willingness to drive on the job (transporting people and meeting materials) as needed if hired (company rental vehicle and insurance provided)
Alternate ROOTS has a 100% remote office and the team collaborates using a series of digital tools. The Communications Associate can work remotely anywhere in the Alternate ROOTS region: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
The position is a part-time position that will work 20-25 hours a week with approximately 10 hours weekly dedicated to remote collaboration through online platforms with team members as needed. Additional hours may be needed from time to time – especially in the lead up to ROOTS Weekend and ROOTS Week – these will be approved by a supervisor.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a part-time termed position paid at a rate of $20/hour, benefits eligible. ROOTS has secured funding for the position from April-December 31, 2021, subject to annual grant renewal and pending additional funding.
DESIRED START DATE
April 12, 2021
HOW TO APPLY
Please review the Communications Associate Job Description and the Alternate ROOTS website.
The application period is now open. Please submit your resume, cover letter, three references, and three writing samples to email@example.com by 5 pm EST on Friday, March 5, 2021. Please send PDFs only. Interviews will begin Wednesday, March 9, 2021. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications and expressed interest in this position will be handled confidentially.
Alternate ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, TGNCNBI2-S (Transgender, Non-Conforming, Nonbinary, Intersex, and 2 Spirit) & LGBTQ folks, people with disabilities, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.